Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prepared Hearts for August 18th

Hello Friends,

Welcome back to Prepared Hearts, the Wacousta Community UMC online Bible study. The Revised Common Lectionary texts for this week include: Isaiah 5:1-7; Psalm 80:1-2, 8-19; Hebrews 11:29 -12:2; and Luke 12:49-56.

This week I’ll be preaching from Hebrews. The NRSV translation of the text is below, followed by some starter thoughts.

Hebrews 11:29 - 12:2

29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as if it were dry land, but when the Egyptians attempted to do so they were drowned. 30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell after they had been encircled for seven days. 31 By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had received the spies in peace.

32 And what more should I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. 35 Women received their dead by resurrection. Others were tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to obtain a better resurrection. 36 Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned to death, they were sawn in two, they were killed by the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, persecuted, tormented— 38 of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground. 39 Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 since God had provided something better so that they would not, apart from us, be made perfect.

12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

STARTER THOUGHTS

The role of faith is an obvious focus of this text: By faith the people passed through the Red Sea…By faith the walls of Jericho fell…By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish. “Faith” is often described as believing or trusting. Some say that “faith” is a verb, not a noun (emphasizing the action behind practicing faith). Earlier in Chapter 11, faith is described as “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” What does “faith” mean to you? How has your concept of faith changed over time?

Beginning in verse 32, the author starts name dropping heroes of faith: Gideon (Judges 6-8), Barak (Judges 4-5), Samson (Judges 13-16), Jephthah (Judges 11-12), David (1 Samuel 16), and Samuel (1 Samuel 1) and then describes what they were able to do “through faith.” Verse 35 begins, “Women received their dead by resurrection,” an allusion to the widow of Zarephath (1 Kings 17:17-24) and the Shunammite woman (2 Kings 4:32-37) and the miracles God worked through Elijah and Elisha. Take some time to review some of the stories listed above. Are any of them particularly inspiring to you? Why or why not?

The next section of the text is very grim, as the author recounts unnamed persons who have suffered imprisonment and torture because of their faith. If you have the stomach for it, read 2 Maccabees 7 to get a fuller picture of what the author is referring to. I’ll be honest, having been raised in a society in which Christianity is normative, I have a hard time relating to the reality of this level of religious persecution. What is your response as you read this portion of the text? Where was God in the midst of all this cruelty? And what statement do you think the author is making in sharing these stories?

The author paints two pictures of a life of faith: one of triumph and one of torture. Then she/he delivers the rally cry, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us…” The call is clearly for endurance. What are some examples of endurance or lack of endurance that you have seen or experienced in your life? (this can relate to faith or anything else). What is most helpful to you as you try to “run with perseverance?” Where do you find yourself stumbling on your course? Where do you think the church stumbles?

As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and reflections.

Feel free to email me directly or post a comment here.

Peace,

Pastor Amee

1 comment:

  1. For me, this text brings up thoughts of perseverance, pushing forward, attending to something that God has called me to, despite opposition, feelings of inadequacy, fear, or whatever. In the past, when I have stepped out in faith that God can accomplish His will, despite opposition, despite my inadequacy or fear, God has always delivered – beyond my wildest dreams!

    For Example, a number of years ago, I became involved in the Lansing Emmaus community. Some folks thought I would be a good walk lay director, and they started having me serve the community in different positions in order to prepare me for service as a walk lay director. One of the positions I was called to serve in was a co-auxiliary head (shortened to Aux-head, or Ox-head in my case). These servants run everything that goes into hosting a walk, except for the events in the conference room. During that weekend, a lot of things happened, and I was ready to quit – not just the position of Aux-head, but also the position of community lay director, which I was also holding at that time. During a slow time, I went outside for a short walk, seriously thinking of getting in my car, going, and not coming back. One of God’s angels came out to walk and talk with me. We talked about what was going on, and my feelings. He said that I was doing fine, and asked if was really going to let the enemy win so easily. Just the question I needed to hear – I finished the course. From hearing from pilgrims from that weekend, God did, as usual, some amazing things, in the lives of some of the pilgrims. I was, and am, extremely glad that God was faithful that weekend. While I was inadequate to the task, God provided some amazing people, the job was done, and God was glorified.

    The second, and related, event was the men’s walk this spring. Even though I had had the above experience, and a few others, I was still scared of the responsibility of being a walk lay director. Despite all the training that I had from some truly awesome servants, I was concerned, and was trying to avoid the position. Once again, one of God’s angels talked to me. A certain pastor said, “God and the community need you to step up and fill the position.” How do you argue with that? So, when the time came, and I received the call to serve as a walk lay director, I said, “yes.” Again, there were challenges, such as some people who said yes to serving on the conference room team had to drop off at the last minute, and some folks had very serious health challenges. Even so, the team stuck with it, completed the walk, and once again, God was glorified. God’s people stepped out in faith, trusting Him that he would work on the weekend, and God was faithful. I know for a fact that some of the men who were pilgrims on that walk, continue to have a closer walk with Him.

    So, for me, being faithful means persevering, going where God calls, and trusting Him, that He will accomplish His will, despite my fears or lack of ability – how true it is, He is faithful, and He is strongest when I am weak.

    ><>

    ReplyDelete