Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Prepared Hearts for September 15th

Hello Friends,

This week’s Prepared Hearts comes to us from Andy Sass, who will be delivering the word this Sunday:

This week, we will be moving back to the lectionary, reading from Paul’s first letter to Timothy.  The text is below, followed by some starter thoughts.

1 Timothy 1:12-17

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

STARTER THOUGHTS:

In this text Paul reiterates the Good News of the Gospel – that even sinners are shown mercy.  When have you been shown mercy?

Paul talks about his history as a persecutor of the church, and says that, even so, God shows him mercy, gives him strength, and appoints him to His service.  Despite your failures or flaws, has God called you to his service?  When?  How?  How did you respond?

Paul talks about his having been a “blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man,” and goes on to say that, because of who he was, God showed him mercy, so he would be an example, for the honor and glory of God.  In doing this, Paul is using his prior failings to give honor to God.  Have you ever done the same?  Are you willing to give God whatever God asks, for God's glory? Even if God asks you to give him your failures? Your sin?

We know that Paul repented, and followed God’s will for his life, that he paid a price, according to this world, for his choice.  Have you paid a price for your decisions to be Christ’s disciple?

Feel free to email Andy or I your thoughts or post a comment here.

Peace,

Pastor Amee 

No comments:

Post a Comment